Someone once said that eating like a Greek is not only healthy – it’s delicious! True or not, the fact is that nowadays we live in a world where nutrition becomes more and more discussed. “Why is that?”, you may ask. The answer probably lies between “I am too tired to cook now. Let’s just go buy some fast food!” and “I feel sick. I need to go to the doctor.” Good news is people are becoming more aware of their health condition, which leads to our main topic – how to prolong your living without giving up on everything that brings you joy. It’s as simple as that – try the Mediterranean diet.
Contrary to the main understanding about the word “diet”, The Med regimen is not a program for getting thin – it’s a way of living. It comes from the eating habits of the Greek, Italian and Spanish people – nations which are proven to not suffer from heart diseases, dementia, depression, etc.
So what is it all about?
- The Med diet gives you the chance to eat as many fruits and veggies as you wish, so find what you like and let loose!
- Go for meals like fish and legumes to provide your body with enough protein and fibers.
- The Greeks are known for eating whole grains – So don’t go easy on today’s “superfoods” like oats, buckwheat, quinoa, bulgur and others.
- Nuts like almonds, hazelnuts, pine nuts, pistachios – a handful of your choice can reduce the risk of coronary heart disease, so make sure not to forget them!
- Seeds as well as different spices and herbs are also an important part of the daily meals as they fill your body cells with antioxidants and healthy fats, but also your meals with taste and wonderful scents! It is nearly impossible to find a Greek dish without Oregano, Thyme or Basil!
- Last but not least, - of course - olives and olive oil go well with pretty much everything and are not only super healthy, but also delicious, so make it rain on those salads!